Sunday, June 8, 2008

You've got to Pray just to make it today!!!


I was thinking about the power of prayer today--or it's supposed power. Now, I'd like to strip the act away from the ideology that it is associated with, mainly religion. Desperation makes people pray--even devout Atheists have been know to take part in the act when painted into a corner.

But what is that?

That desperate need to connect with the power in control when life becomes overwhelming, dire, or in the worst case, life-threatening? Maybe it's that understanding that we're not in control all the time--which I think is true. Anyone that knows me, knows that I'm not a religious guy--but I consider myself spiritual--whatever that means. I find myself praying at times when my soul yearns for an exit strategy. Does this make me religious? Hardly. Spiritual? Not Likely.

Instead, prayer makes me human. And humans, at times, want to hand the reigns over to someone else and take a coffee break from life. It's not so much an acknowledgment of a higher power as much as it is an acknowledgment that life is complicated and sometimes we need to face off with ourselves in order to save ourselves. An ego reflection in the mind's eye, for all you stoners reading this.

So don't feel bad if you have to drop to a knee every once in awhile, clasp your hands together and shed a few drops from the ducts. It's natural. It's poignant. And sometimes, it's necessary. Nobody will think ill of you and most times, this purge of emotions can be cathartic and you'll find you can sleep better.

Just a thought...

No comments: